Tuesday, January 25, 2011

4 Missions and the River Walk

Well, you saw the Alamo yesterday so today we visited the other 4 Missions in the area.  Are you ready.....

This is Mission San Jose founded in 1720...had unique church architecture....

 these little rooms all around the Mission is where all the families lived....very small little individual rooms....these ovens were outside about every 5-6 room.....hate to try and bake something in that!!!

 San Juan Mission....moved to San Antonio River in 1731...was a regional supplier of produce with orchards and gardens within its walls...herds of cattle and sheep numbering 3500+ each....

 the church is still in use today.....
 Mission Espada....founded in 1690....the oldest of the missions....they were the only mission that made bricks as a vocation.....and the church is still in use.....



 Mission Concepcion....built in early 1700s...church is still in use...





 And now we move to the River Walk.....and walk and walk and walk.....the bottoms of my feet hurt!!!! and I'm use to walking!!!



 so beautiful that they came up with this area instead of filling it in and building parking lots!!
Okay, tomorrow I'm riding that riverboat!!!  But, I'm sure I'll end up walking somewhere.  Hope you enjoyed our journey today....it was quite interesting and amazing how they could have built something so long ago and have it still standing today.....wow!  Until we meet again.....love you all.

No comments: